Wednesday 29 July 2015

Another day, another M&A deal in the London market

The latest transaction will see property developer Quintain taken private for by US private equity group Lone Star for 122p a share or almost £700 million.

I am, though, getting seriously worried we could be reaching the peak of this latest bull market as the last time somebody tried take Quintain private it was literally to the top of the last bull/credit market.

For younger readers that don't recall, Paul Kemsley - yes remember him, Lord Sugar's mate - built up a leveraged 10pc plus position in Quintain.

In one of his smarter trades Kemsley, a wide boy property developer with a penchant for talking straight, then sold his stake to HBOS.

HBOS, which by this time had decided to pursue a strategy of buying any property-related company it could get its hands on, then tried to approach Quintain about a takeover. That was in the summer of 2007 when Quintain's shares were trading at almost £10.00! Yes, that's right - £10.00.

And we all know what happened next: the following year HBOS had to be bailed out by the British taxpayer and Kemsley disappeared to the US after his "property investments" turned sour.

Still, at 122p a share I guess Lone Star might have wangled a decent deal but let's not forget Quintain had to carry out a deeply discounted rights in 2009, raising almost £200 million at 49p to shore up its balance sheet and sidestep a major financial restructuring.

4 comments:

  1. I have read your blog of real estate this is nice please follow us:- There homes for sale in mahopac ny are so several counts of fresh as well as latest home building by the side of greeter project homes for sale in ardsley ny all underway on part of that will be helping white plains homes for sale with the main purpose to take place. The illogical yonkers homes for sale by the side of most natural part way will come to fortunate those areas

    ReplyDelete
  2. my buddy's step-aunt makes $69 /hr on the internet . She has been without work for nine months but last month her payment was $19995 just working on the internet for a few hours. read the full info here << www.time-jobs34.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. TESTIMONY ON HOW MY LIFE WAS TRANSFORMED WITH THE HELP OF A GOD-SENT LENDER..

    Hello everyone, am writing this Testimony because am really grateful for what Mason Diego did for me and my family, when I thought there was no hope he came and make my family feel alive again by lending us loan at a very low interest rate of 2%. Well I have been searching for a loan to settle my debts for the past three months all I met scammed and took my money until I finally met a God sent Lender. I never thought that there are still genuine loan lenders on the internet but to my greatest surprise i got my loan without wasting much time so if you are out there looking for a loan of any amount i would advise you to email Mr Diego via: { diegoloancompany@yahoo.com } and be free of internet scams. thanks... Kathie Roper from California, USA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Day !!

    I am Hwa Jurong, a Reputable, Legitimate & an accredited money
    Lender. I want to use this medium to inform you that i render reliable beneficiary
    assistance as I'll be glad to offer you a loan at 2% interest rate to
    reliable individuals.

    Services Rendered include:

    *Home Improvement
    *Inventor Loans
    *Car Loans
    *Debt Consolidation Loan
    *Line of Credit
    *Second Loan
    *Business Loans
    *Personal Loans
    *International Loans.

    Please write back if interested.
    Upon Response, you'll be mailed a Loan application form to fill. (No social
    security and no credit check, 100% Guaranteed!) I Look forward permitting me to
    be of service to you. You can contact me via e-mail:hwajurong382@yahoo.com hwajurong12@gmail.com
    Yours Sincerely,

    Hwa Jurong(MD).

    ReplyDelete